Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Book Review: The Penny

With Mother's Day just behind us, I was reflecting about some of the things my mother taught me. Since I'm grown, I don't often think about what she has taught me, and I sometimes I think I don't need to learn anymore since I'm a grown up. At least not from my mother. But once a mother, always a mother. Last year, my mother came to visit and she suggested I read "The Penny" by Joyce Meyer and Deborah Bedford. This book grabbed me within the first few pages, and I was impressed by the lessons one can learn from this book. The story takes place in St. Louis, which is near where I live now and headquarters of Joyce Meyer ministries. I quickly identified with the setting and the places mention in the book. I felt as if I was along side Jenny throughout her story.

Cover of Cover of The Penny: A Novel

"The Penny" is a novel about how the main character Jenny learns to overcome brokenness and her friend Miss Shaw overcomes grief. When she is not enduring an abusive father or being ignored by her older sister, Jenny pushes friends away because she is afraid she won't be able to protect them from her father. Miss Shaw shares the grace of Jesus with Jenny, while suffering from unspoken pain and grief.

This all changes, when she goes back to pick up a small penny.

The penny changes the direction of Jenny's life and leads her to a freedom and peace one can only find in Jesus. The story line keeps the reader turning the pages to find out what the next step on Jenny's journey will be. I was compelled to keep reading to find out what Miss Shaw's unspoken secret was. I'm sure you will not regret picking up this book and finding out for yourself how Miss Shaw and Jenny find freedom from their pain all because of a penny.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment